harlie

What I'm Reading

A Harlequin devotee, I read just about anything.

Cape Cursed
Texas Two Step
Cynthia D'Alba
Hired
Lily Harlem

Finding Justice (Harlequin Super Romance Series #1835)

Finding Justice (Harlequin Super Romance Series #1835) - Rachel Brimble Can I say that I’m proud to say that I’m honored to have read Rachel Brimble’s debut Superromance. I was thrilled when I emailed her and told her that I was going to feature every Thursday Harlequin. I asked her if I could spotlight her debut and she more than said yes and she would like send me the book to review. Woo Hoo! As I mentioned above, she has the “voice” for Superromance. I know of some published Harlequin authors that write for the other lines and they have submitted to the line and were rejected. It’s all about the “voice” in Superromance. You either have it or you don’t. Ms. Brimble has it…in spades!

When we first meet Cat, she yelling at her squad to get a drunk driver. Being an Inspector was everything she wanted to be when her dad was killed by a drunk driver. Bring people to justice when they have done something wrong. In the meantime, she lost touch with her friends and herself. She is too busy keeping her mother out of trouble. With no help from her brother, she feels like a failure.

When she gets a phone call from her friend and one time lover Jay, it all comes full circle for herself. The murder of their best friend and he is the prime suspect. Realizing that its time for her brother to step up to the plate with their mother, she leaves to the Cove to help Jay and ends up losing her heart all over again.

What makes this story so special is because it deals with a topic that most people don’t talk about…addiction and the effect that it has on yourself (whether you are the addict or not), your job, friends and your family. I know first hand with a grandmother and my brother. I understood Cat from the beginning of the story and the feelings and emotions that she was going through. Been there, done that and worn the t-shirt.

The suspense element was a delight and its done with a deft touch from Ms. Brimble. She doesn’t hit you over the head with it and I seriously didn’t know who the villain was until it was revealed. I love that when I can’t figure it out until the author reveals it. It was a complete surprise and the beach scene was spectacular. I was laughing one moment and then praying that it would end well for Jay and Cat.

If you are looking for a book that is full of emotion, suspense and a love between two people that never died, Finding Justice is it for you. I can’t wait to see what Ms. Brimble has in store for the next book in the Cove.

*I received this book in exchange for a fair and honest review. I was not paid for my thoughts or opinions*