harlie

What I'm Reading

A Harlequin devotee, I read just about anything.

Cape Cursed
Cynthia D'Alba
Hired
Lily Harlem

Provoke Me

Provoke Me - Cari Quinn Take one emotionally detached, unavailable man and one woman determined to break through his walls and what do you get? Provoke Me is what you get. Kelly and Spencer are two of the most stubborn, sexy, hard to figure out characters that I have read in a very long time. They intrigued me from the first page and still linger with me today.

I'll be honest though, I read the book twice before writing this review. Yes, it took me twice to get all the little details, emotions and characterizations in my head straight. Ms. Quinn writes with a smooth fluidity that if you are not paying attention, you will miss something in the story. I laughed, cried, threw my Nook on the couch (twice), gasped and yes, fell in love with Kelly and Spencer.

Provoke Me is a story that grabs you and doesn't let go. Spencer, believing that he can't love and doesn't feel like he deserved to be loved in return, loves his job and nothing else. He's lust for Kelly is overpowering to him and when he goes to Kink to work some of it out, he finds Kelly. Kelly knows that the only man to ever truly satisfy her is Spencer but to get him to admit it will take alot of work. The scenes at Kink are emotional, hot and I really did feel like a voyeur. The things that Kelly didn't think she would do, she did and it just furthered their relationship and you got a sense of what really makes Spencer tick.

If you read my earlier posts on reviewing, I will not spill any spoilers, plot points, conflict issues but I will tease you a bit. It was nice to see Nicky and Alana again and see them interact with Kelly. Also, surprising in this book was the inclusion of the relationships with their parents and how that shaped them to what they are today. The last fourth of the book was beyond anything that I expected and was crying in the end. Great ending to a fabulous couple.

I highly recommend Provoke Me and I can't wait for the other books in this series. Outstanding job Cari!